Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Rain, Rain...I Love You!


It has been raining really hard today, and I have never loved the rain so much. When it rains it cools off the island. The "cool" days are few and far between. It is becoming summer here and the temperature of the rock is rising. I have been told that it isn't necessarily rising temperatures that make it feel hotter, but instead the lack of tradewinds. By November the wind is supposed to stop completely. I am trying to psych myself into becoming climatized but it isn't really working as well as I had hoped. People are shocked when I run my window unit in my bedroom, because no one else thinks it is hot enough for air conditioning here. All except for my West Texas friends who constantly think they are dying from heat.

I know that I have mentioned that the sun is a quick burner here, but I don't think I realized until tonight how serious that a burn is here. The sunburn I got on Saturday after being in the sun for a few hours hurt worse than any injury I have had to date. I think it hurts worse than breaking a bone. It's a bold statement, but it feels like needles are continuing to prick into my back. Tonight my back started to peel and I peeled 2 layers of skin off and when I looked at my back in the mirror I was surprised to see a fresh sunburn. There is no telling how many layers of skin I burned through. The good thing is that it should give me some tan on my back, and the burns will be less frequent. Speaking of tan...my arms have never been darker in my life. I have Samoan arms basically. In fact I measured my tan to the kids in my class today and I am right there with them. My legs however look like they have been transplanted from an albino person. There is a strong contrast, but I am working on it. I would expect people to be disappointed in me if I didn't come back with a tan to covet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home