Thursday, October 06, 2005

Spring Break here I come...

Today marks two full weeks that I have been living in American Samoa. Sometimes I think it is flying by and other times I am longing to be home for Christmas. Tomorrow is a half day at school, and the next week is Spring Break. I can't wait.

Today was a field trip for the kids in K-2 to wrap up our unit on transportation. We took the kids down to the harbor and we were given a tour of a cargo boat that travels inter island. It takes people and other kinds of cargo, and she was a beauty. I tried to become best friends with both of the captains, and one wasn't falling for it. I kept trying to talk to them to find out more about taking the ferry to other islands but every time I would stop to ask a question one of my kids would try to jump off the deck. It was a never ending cycle - ask a question and then avert danger. One of the crew guys actually thought I was from the Pacific. I know it wasn't because I have a good tan, but I am choosing to believe that is the feature that makes me look the most "Samoan". He quickly recounted his statement when I opened my mouth. I have never thought that I had a give away Texas accent, but apparently I do. It's a little disappointing because I thought the horrible accent was the only Texas stereotype that I didn't embody, but that's shattered. After the harbor we took the students to the airport to watch planes take off and land. The only thing was that nothing took off and nothing landed, so they were a little bummed out until the pilot came out and took us on a special tour of an inter island plane. After they got out of the plane we asked what their favorite part of the airplane was and the general consensus was that the back of the seats had tables in them. Kids always notice the most obscure details. Everyone is fascinated with Texas and California. They could care less about the other 48 states. My kids wonder where I tie my horse, so I showed them Lubbock on Google Earth and they were amazed.

Google Earth is probably the best program I have ever experienced. I can't tell you how many trips I have taken around the world from the comfort of my house. I am addicted and I have hooked all the other teachers. It really is the cool thing to do.

Possibly the most interesting part of my day was that I got the surgical staple in my ear removed. Quick and painless it was not, but that is the price you pay when someone takes it out with pliers. I was eating at the principals house (which happens to be upstairs) tonight and wanted to take it out so she said she would do it. She did a fine job. There was relatively no bleeding. The best part about it is it makes me seem really tough. I could possible handle anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home