Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Am I living in a wildlife refuge?

I don't know if I have the call of the wild or what but animals are flocking to my door. On Sunday night I had a crab run in front of my feet, and tonight I saw a grouping of abnormally large toads sitting on my porch. I'm not really sure what you call toads traveling together...they aren't a flock, or a herd, so what are they? I have seen some big frog/toads in my life, but these are by far the biggest. In fact, they look a little mutated because of they are easily bigger than a softball. I feel like they are all wanting to get into the house because they think it's going to be a playground of filth, but it is certainly not. In fact, I have never been so clean in my entire life. I deep clean my entire apartment every other day. Granted there isn't that much to clean. Learning to be meticulously clean could be a life lesson that ranks up there with not having to have everything. The threat of the rabbit like rats and millions of ants makes me almost happy to clean. This knowledge 5 years ago could have changed my roommates lives. I do like the animals, but I am constantly trying to act like they all don't scare me, but that is a lie. I walk around tensed up expecting something to either jump out or fall on me. Either way I am ready to scream and duck.

Tonight was night two of my new career as a Polynesian dancer. It doesn't look like it is going to work out as well as I thought. Unfortunately, my body does not move as quickly as they would like and I have a small problem with coordination. If I can break through those 2 roadblocks I am home free. The best part of dance tonight was the fact that I was able to dress in my "lavalava". Lavalavas are the traditional sarong like skirts that everyone wears here. I went to the store and purchased my self a few so that I could look the; part. I think that is the most exciting part. I love the lavalavas if I could only figure out how to tie them correctly. Don't be surprised if you see me trying to sport them in the States. I wonder LISD's policy on sarongs?

Today happened to be the hottest day I have experienced here. I was told that today was as hot as it should get throughout the rest of the year, and I am hoping that is true because I actually thought that I was going to die. I have never been a very athletic girl, which is obvious, but I have run once or twice in my life. The sweat produced in those times was nothing compared to how bad I was sweating today. It was almost like I was melting because water was dripping from my body. The kids didn't think that it was too hot but I had every fan in our classroom pointed directly at me, and it didn't even help that much. It rained this afternoon and I was hoping that it would cool off but it didn't. Instead when the sun came back out it was hotter. I wanted the rain to keep going so the minute school was out I could go stand in it, but no such luck. It did however rain a ton today. Someone told me that it has rained over 25 inches in the two weeks that I have been here. I think that is more rain than we get in Lubbock in a year.

Luckily the washing machine was fixed today. The bad thing however is that the washer and dryer are in this shed thing under the stairs. Well when the washer was ready to do the spin cycle it sounded like we were in a tornado. It scared me to death. The dogs started barking and the cats took off. I don't know if it is normal though. I know I don't have too much in it, so that may just be how it sounds. Looks like I will have to get my laundry done early in the day, because not doing it is not an option.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh celeste,
i'm so amused by this blog, it's like youre standing right next to me. . . i can almost hear you telling these stories. they are really funny! you give me something to do at work. . . i love you, sister.
cal

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Celeste, you made my day when your dad shared your "ventures" with me....I do believe everything you are saying & I can NOT wait to hear the "rest of the stories"...you might have to hold a "dance" class during the hoildays!! Ha Ha...take care, Susie

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Celeste,
I have been writing you message after message and finally realized that I was not sending them correctly. I'm so glad everything is going well, besides the rats, birds, crabs.....zoooooooooooooo
I need your mailing address. I have something that I want to mail you. I feel like everytime I read your blog, you are in my presence. I wish you the best of luck! I will keep in touch more often since I have become a computer genius.
Delynn

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home