Tuesday, September 27, 2005

It's my first day

Today was my first day of school, and boy was it a dewsey. The actual day went really well, and the lessons went smoothly. I was able to fake competence in the subject areas, and they totally bought it. I have 11 1st and 2nd graders. 4 are 1st grade and 7 are 2nd grade. It’s more difficult than I thought to cover lessons that catch both grades and allow them to do quality work, but once I get into the swing of things it will get easier.

I have always thought that I was supposed to be a thin girl because my ankles are quite small, but after a day of school I officially have cankles. (For those who don’t know what a cankle is it’s when your calf blends right into your ankle…it’s a more passé way of saying thick ankled). It seriously looks like I have 2 grapefruits shoved in my skin. I am wishing that I didn’t make fun of the teachers who dressed up in their skirts with tennis shoes in my past. I am seriously considering becoming one of them.

Pacific Horizons is an English speaking school, and all my students are fluent in the language but there is a big problem. The problem is that we speak different forms of English. I, of course, speak Texan so they have no idea what I am talking about sometimes. For example, tomorrow they are going to go outside for P.E. so at the end of the day I said “don’t forget your tennis shoes tomorrow.” They all whipped around and looked at me in bewilderment. I have learned that they call them sneakers. Another thing is the trash can. Some of them call it a rubbish can. The only time I have actually heard rubbish in a real conversation was on Harry Potter. It’s funny to see the difference in language between Australia, New Zealand, Samoa, and Texas. Let me go ahead and say there is a big one.

I am going to try to post pictures of my classroom and my students within the next couple of days. Until next time…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home