Friday, October 14, 2005

Snorkeling isn't natural

After I got up I went snorkeling yesterday, and though I stated earlier that I was really great at snorkeling I am now willing to recant my statement. The first time I went snorkeling I was in a protected cove, so it was a breeze. Yesterday, however, I was out in the big bad ocean. I kept having to calm myself down and breathe normally because I kept wanting to hyperventilate. It was low tide so we were able to explore these caves and blow holes. That was scary because we were in the dark. We got out as quickly as we could. Im not sure that snorkeling is a natural activity. Ignorance is bliss and in this case I believe it is true. I will say that once I got used to the fact that a reef shark may swim up to me at any second I was pretty amazed with what was in the water. I saw some of the neatest colored fish and coral that I have ever seen. I have been told that the place where I snorkeled yesterday is unimpressive compared to where we are going this weekend. This weekend we are going to Palagi Beach (white people beach). It is supposed to have the best snorkeling on the island. Im most excited about seeing the starfish. I already know that I should coat myself with the highest sunscreen that I can find, because I apparently can not walk out into the sun without getting a burn. I thought that I was going to come home one tan Texan, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

After we got out of the ocean it started raining and proceeded to rain all day long. I did get a lot of errands done, because of the lack of fun things to do. I am now 23 and licensed to drive. That's right I now am legally allowed to drive in American Samoa. I am not totally legal yet because I haven't gone to get my license made, but I have received a clearance from the High Court saying that I can get my license. It's kind of exciting. I could run a muck on the island now. When we were heading into Pago yesterday we picked up Vanessa who is a Samoan that works for Marshall Ashley's law firm. When you need to get something done she is the go to girl. She went with me down to the post office to see if anything that I am expecting has arrived...which it hasn't. Instead of waiting in line she just walks back to the mail area in the back and starts asking questions. Apparently the guys in customs are friends of hers. I don't know what about me says "yeah, I love softball", but the first thing that I was asked was to join the Customs softball team. I acted excited about it but really it was just to be nice, but I am supposed to see Vinny to get fitted for my uniform today. When I realized that he thought that I would really play I tried to tell him that Im really nice, but not an athlete. He said it doesn't matter because they are a happy team. Win or lose they still have a good time (they haven't won yet). I don't run, and my hand eye coordination isn't all that good, so Im not really understanding why I would be an asset for the team. Never the less, I am on the team. I am skipping my first game on Saturday, but from there on out I am in it to win it. I guess I should get a glove...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Celeste!! How are you doing? I am great. I called your mom & she gave me the info to get a hold of you via Internet. We're still waiting for Johnny to come home & My mom is going to get maried on October 21st, and I am super excited!!! I miss you a bunch!!!
Well, my e-mail address is chsmustang2007@hotmail.com, and I have yours, so I will e-mail you sometime.
<3<3<3 and God Bless

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home