Sunday, November 06, 2005

The life of a servant...

I am finally a resident of the village of Tafuna. I have officially moved into my new apartment. We don't have the internet inside so I am currently sitting outside stealing from one of my new neighbors. I am thinking of it as a house warming gift. We should be getting the internet within the next few days. Until then I am going to be forced to borrow from the allusive "Mr. Jin". Being right in the thick of things will make my life so much easier and yet so much more exciting. I can't wait.

Friday I did something that I never thought that I would do. I ate Chinese food...and I didn't hate it. I can not bring myself to say that I did like the spicy chicken that I tried. As a general rule I don't eat food that isn't from North America. I just don't trust it, and I'm picky. The problem with being in American Samoa is that it isn't in North America. This makes being so picky a little harder to do.

On Saturday morning, I awoke to painful shrieking sounds. I thought that the Ashley's next door neighbors were killing their dogs. I wasn't sure what for but I was almost sure that they were going to eat them. I quickly got dressed and ran outside to rescue some poor dog from the hands of evil, but there were no "evil hands" anywhere to be found. Instead the Ashley's had found a puppy that wasn't happy to be in a dog run. The puppy was a stray with a beagle resemblance and I loved it. So naturally I went to pick it up and play with it. The Ashley's youngest daughter said that it was fine. No big deal. Looking back, I think she wanted to get out of having to take care of it for a few minutes. The sweet pup was great. The minute I picked her up she laid her head on my shoulder and fell asleep. I took her inside to sleep while I watched the beloved Texas Tech Red Raiders on AFN. To make a long story short, I took care of the puppy all morning and afternoon and held it, played with it, and loved it. Later someone reminded me to wash my arms because the dog has flees and mange. WHAT? I wouldn't have touched it if I knew that it was going to potentially spread all kinds of live and biting vermin. Well today I itch like crazy. So I am wondering, do I have fleas? Can humans get fleas? and what does a human do if he/she has fleas? Do they have human flea baths? Because it all seems disgusting. All I know is that if I do have fleas...I better get another jewel in my crown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home